Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tin Foil Glitter Removal Method

Karen asked me about this method, and I figured while I was removing my last manicure, I would go ahead and document the process.

So, this is where I realized that this glitter was not going to come off without a fight!! If your glitter tips are still there when you get the base polish off, you know you are in trouble!






So, I had to bust out the foil. I just tear 10 pieces large enough to wrap around your finger to be able to secure. I wrap and pinch to get it to stay on. Here is my foil pile:


I then take a cotton ball and tear it into 10 pieces. There is no need to use one ball per finger. You need just enough cotton to cover the nail.



Here is my secret weapon...well not really a secret but you need this kind of remover to make this work:


It HAS to be 100% pure acetone. No substitutes!!

So, next step is to wet each of the 10 cotton pieces with the acetone. They don't need to be dripping, but they need to be moist. You don't have to do them all at once. I do one hand at a time. This method is pretty quick.


Now, you need to apply the wet cotton onto the top of your nail, and wrap it in a piece of foil.  I prefer to wrap and pinch...it doesn't need to be perfect, you just need to make sure the cotton is on the nail and it is covered.



Now, let your wrapped fingers sit for about 5 minutes. Try not to fuss with them and just let them sit. I prefer not to unwrap them. I like to pinch the tip of the finger and drag the foil and cotton off while applying pressure. Helps to remove anything left on the nail. This is the result after you remove the cotton and foil:


You may have a little bit of cleanup to do around your cuticles or for any stray glitter. And, you will have some dryness (it is pure acetone after all!!). But, this makes glitter removal so much easier!!

Hope you found this helpful!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I have trouble with glitter polishes to from time to time!

    ReplyDelete